As we start to get into peak farmers’ market season, here are my top tips for making the most of your market trip:
16 Top Tips For Shopping Your Farmers’ Market:
- If you want something special or the best selection, shop early
- When you find a farmer or stand you like, ask for a card. That way you’ll always know who has the perfect tomatoes.
- Bring bags, both big and small. A plastic box is always handy for carrying precious berries
- Bring cash, small bills and change
- Leave kids and dogs at home if at all possible
- Park bikes
- Give yourself time to cruise the market and then go back to make purchases
- Ask the farmers for advice and don’t forget to admire all their hard work!
- Even if you’re in a hurry, hand money directly to the person behind the counter. Don’t leave it on the counter or wave it in their face.
- Don’t shuck corn. Corn in the husk stays fresher, gives you more cooking options and is actually easier to shuck once it’s cooked.
- As tempting as it is to squeeze the tomatoes, if you don’t buy it, it will end up like a water balloon by the end of the day.
- Ask to taste something, but take the box you tasted it from if you’re going to buy it.
- Try something different. If you’re not sure what to do with it, ask the farmer.
- Be clean. Don’t leave trash or coffee cups on the counters.
- Wash everything when you get home. Store in clear containers or bags so you’ll see it and use it.
- Enjoy! There’s nothing better than food straight from the farm.
Any tips you’d like to add? Let us know in the comments below.
If you’d like a sheet to print out, click here.