Duck curry is one of the things we always order in a Thai restaurant, so it seemed like the perfect use for our leftover slow-roast duck. This feeds about 4-6 and comes together in the time it takes to make a pot of jasmine rice (hint, hint).
Thai Duck Curry with Pineapple:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons Thai red or massaman curry paste
- 2 tablespoons ï¬sh sauce (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 kafï¬r lime leaves, torn in half, or zest of 1 lime (optional)
- 8 ounces roast duck in bite-sized pieces
- 1 Asian eggplant, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced crosswise into wedges
- ¼ cup bamboo shoots (optional)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh pineapple
- 8 small cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons fresh Thai or Italian basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger, and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Reduce heat to medium and add the curry paste, stirring to break it up, about 1 minute. Stir in the ï¬sh sauce, brown sugar, and kafï¬r lime leaves, if using, and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the duck, eggplant, coconut milk, and chicken stock and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the pineapple and cherry tomatoes, simmer for 2 more minutes.
Finish with the basil, fresh coriander leaves, and mint leaves; cook for 30 seconds or until basil is wilted. Serve with jasmine rice and enjoy!
Really good! I used a combination of red and massaman curries because I ran out of the massaman curry paste. Surprisingly, we couldn’t find any Japanese eggplants in the stores, so threw in the bamboo shoots (yes, I know, it’s hardly the same). Mushrooms are also a nice addition.
The great thing about curries like this is that they’re easy and forgiving. You can substitute any meat or fish for the duck and add whatever vegetables you have on hand. And with the leftover pineapple, you can make pineapple upside-down cake.
What’s your favorite curry combo?