Here’s Frank’s version of the traditional New York onion relish for hot dogs. Try this recipe and see how it compares with the cart condiment.
It makes about 1 1/2 cups and takes about 25 minutes.
Frank’s Onion Relish Recipe for Hot Dogs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper ((chile powder is a good substitute, just not as smoky tasting)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (granulated garlic, or finely minced fresh will work fine)
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
Heat the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook about 10 minutes until soft and starting to turn golden.
Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan. Stir to mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until sauce is desired consistency.
Taste for seasoning. Serve over your favorite hot dogs and enjoy!
Delicious! I’m not sure how authentic it is, because, believe it or not, I’ve never had a hot dog from a cart in New York. Try it and let me know how he did.