This is an easy salad to prepare and if you don’t feel like firing up the grill, you can use a grill pan in the house. While the eggplant is cooling, make the dressing.
Figure 1 eggplant per person.
- 4 Japanese eggplants, washed, ends trimmed off and slit lengthwise in half
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup toasted pine nuts (feel free to use other nuts if you prefer)
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup basil, thinly sliced (chiffonade)
- 2 tablespoons mint, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Light a grill, or heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush the eggplants with some of the olive oil. Grill the eggplants until tender, about 3-4 minutes a side. You can serve the eggplants warm or allow them to come to room temperature…your choice.
Mix the balsamic vinegar, remainder of the olive oil, salt and pepper together and set aside.
To serve, plate the eggplants, top with the goat cheese, pine nuts, basil and mint. Drizzle the balsamic vinaigrette over it. Serve and enjoy!