When the Accidental Locavore has a mess of cherry tomatoes, or it’s winter and that’s the best you can do (tomato-wise), remember this salad. It’s an easy and good way to use a bunch of cherry tomatoes. Depending on your love/hate relationship with heat, use as much or as little cayenne and chiles as you like. Start off slowly and add more to taste. If you like cilantro, you can substitute it for the parsley, or do half and half. Serves 4.
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, or cilantro, or a mix, chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (use the good stuff here)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- Salt to taste
In a medium bowl, add the tomatoes, chile and parsley. In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, mustard, cayenne pepper, mustard, olive oil and salt together. Pour over the tomatoes and toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!