The Accidental Locavore makes this recipe a lot! It’s a great recipe for cooking chicken in your microwave. Quick, easy and delicious, you can have dinner on the table in 30-45 minutes. With a few exceptions (ginger, cumin, and salt) everything can be sourced locally-I used my own yogurt. This feeds two hungry people with leftovers for lunch. I chop the ginger, chiles and shallots in my mini-processor, but you can chop by hand.
Microwave Chicken With Yogurt, Indian Style
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||20 minutes|
|Total time||30 minutes|
|Meal type||Main Dish|
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1-1/2lb boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cut into 1/2 (use breasts or a mix if you prefer)
- 1" piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1-2 serrano or jalapano chiles, minced (use more or less depending on your tolerance for heat)
- 1 teaspoon dried mint (use a little more if you use fresh)
- 3/4 cups yogurt (use full fat, Greek-style yogurt)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
|Heat the oil in a microwave-safe casserole uncovered for 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and toss to coat. Add 1/2 cup yogurt (reserve the rest for later), ginger, shallot, chiles, mint and 1/2 of the cilantro (reserve the rest) and salt. Mix well. Cook, covered, in the microwave for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.|
|When the chicken is cooked through, add the remaining yogurt and cilantro and the cumin. Taste and check for seasoning (I usually add more salt and cumin at this point). Cover and let rest for 3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!|
I serve with basmati rice, which if you don’t want to make yourself, comes in microwavable packets at places like Whole Foods, and Trader Joes. Broccoli steamed with garlic and curry powder makes a great side dish, as well as some sauteed spinach.
Try it, enjoy it, and let me know what you think!