Are you sad because there may only be a few more weeks left for your local farmers market?
The Accidental Locavore wants to give you her top tips for making the most of them.
16 Top Tips For Shopping Your Farmers Market:
- If you want something special or the best selection, shop early
- When you find a farmer or stand you like, ask for a card. That way you’ll always know who has the perfect tomatoes.
- Bring bags, both big and small. A plastic box is always handy for carrying precious berries
- Bring cash, small bills and change
- Leave kids and dogs at home if at all possible
- Park bikes
- Give yourself time to cruise the market and then go back to make purchases
- Ask the farmers for advice and don’t forget to admire all their hard work!
- Even if you’re in a hurry, hand money directly to the person behind the counter. Don’t leave it on the counter or wave it in their face.
- Don’t shuck corn. Corn in the husk stays fresher, gives you more cooking options and is actually easier to shuck once it’s cooked.
- As tempting as it is to squeeze the tomatoes, if you don’t buy it, it will end up like a water balloon by the end of the day.
- Ask to taste something, but take the box you tasted it from if you’re going to buy it.
- Try something different. If you’re not sure what to do with it, ask the farmer.
- Be clean. Don’t leave trash or coffee cups on the counters.
- Wash everything when you get home. Store in clear containers or bags so you’ll see it and use it.
- Enjoy! There’s nothing better than food straight from the farm.
Any tips you’d like to add? Let us know in the comments below.
If you’d like a sheet to print out, click here.