For the first time in years, the Accidental Locavore has a holiday gift wish list. While it’s a little esoteric, it may be a great start for your holiday shopping. Especially since all of the items involve food and cooking.
So what’s on this list? In no particular order:
• Dorrie Greenspan’s Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours. I’m not sure about joining the French Fridays with Dorrie club, but a couple of people I know and respect have given this book high marks. My brother made the “Pumpkin Stuffed With Everything Good” and highly recommended it. I’m making the apple cake to take to a dinner on Sunday, and will report back.
• The Smoking Gun from Williams Sonoma. It’s a hand held smoker that has the advantage that you can cold smoke things. Why would you want to cold smoke things? Two words…smoked butter. I almost bought it myself the other day, but held off, so Santa if you’re listening…
• A 3 quart non-stick saucepan. I’ve been making a lot of yogurt lately, and the thing that takes the longest, is cleaning the pan. OK, so I’m a lazy locavore, humor me.
• A full size smoker. One of the guys I play golf with has been through all kinds of smokers, and recommends the Brinkman electric one. This is for smoking jobs that the gun can’t handle, and would be for the country house where there’s room for it.
• A cheesemaking kit. I saw this at Whole Foods the other day from the New England Cheesemaking Supply. Since one of my winter projects is to start making cheese, this would jump start the process. I want the basic one that makes cheddar,or the French goat cheese one. Always looking for a challenge.
• A Himalayan Pink Salt Block to cook on from the Meadow. Besides the fact that they are very cool looking, I’m intrigued by the idea of cooking on them. You heat them and cook thinly sliced steak, duck breast or scallops on them. Or cool them and serve tomatoes and mozzarella (OK, so that has to wait until August). Check out the picture of bacon and eggs on their site for inspiration.
What about you? What’s on your list? What’s intriguing you? Have you tried any of these?