Kohlrabi is an alien vegetable. It looks like it came from another planet, and very few people know what to do with it (like me), but like anything else, if you network it enough, you get ideas…
From one of my Twitter queries, I found a quick and easy recipe for kohlrabi slaw. It’s really good and tastes like a cross between celery remoulade and coleslaw. It’s got a bit of a spicy bite to it, that cabbage doesn’t have. With one piece of kohlrabi, I made enough for about four people.
- Peel the kohlrabi (this is the hardest part) and cut into chunks.
- Run it though the shredder disc of your food processor, or julienne on a mandolin.
- Toss with lemon juice (I used the juice of 1 1/2 lemons), olive oil (the good stuff), salt, pepper, and capers.
- I might add some julienned radishes for color and taste.
- Carrots could work too, for a more traditional coleslaw approach.
- I did add some of the garlic comfit puree but think it tasted fresher without it. Dijon mustard might work better.
So are you going to give this alien veg a try? Let me know what you think.